The Mates' Reality TV Life

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Godfather of Soul



R.I.P. James Brown. James Brown died on Christmas day. I didn't know this until I arrived in Augusta, GA a few days later to visit Caleb. The way I actually found out was this...we called Charlsie on Friday night, desperate for something fun to do. She came through. She said, "Hey, a bunch of famous people like Oprah, Usher, and Michael Jackson are in town for James Brown's funeral. Let's go to their hotel and see if we can meet them!" And so we did. We dressed up like famous people...I have never worn that much make-up in my life. Caleb has never looked more metro in his life. We sat in Augustino's, the hotel bar at the Marriott, from about 7:30-midnight stargazing. Well, we didn't get to see or meet the aforementioned stars; however we did have the company of the following in the bar with us: Jesse Jackson (Greenville native), Don King, Rev. Al Sharpton, MC HAMMER (my personal favorite), and a few other important politicos. Some people thought WE were famous. We left the Marriot and headed to the Partridge Inn, another hot spot, thinking that the Bamboo room would host some celebrities. We were told it was "closed for the evening" by a body guard that I recognized the next day on CNN as one of Michael Jackson's 30+ entourage. We made a stop at the statue in downtown Augusta and you can tell from the picture what state of mind I was in. Caption: Faris, Charlsie, the Godfather of Soul, and Maggie. Saturday, Caleb and I watched the funeral on CNN like it was a suspense film. We squealed like little girls when Michael Jackson came out and gave a speech. When was the last time he made a public appearance? OMG that was a fun few days!
-Faris

2 Comments:

  • AHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHA, I would love to see what y'all looked like!! especially cay cay looking metro!!! that's hilarious. good blog mate.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:02 PM  

  • awww thanks mate that makes me happy. call me sooon because i miss your voice. does that sound creepy? i don't care. call your mate!

    By Blogger oneofthemates, at 11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home